Events Activities Rotterdam Topsport
In the Netherlands and abroad, Rotterdam Topsport is known as a facilitator and organiser of top-level sporting events. The ATP-ranked ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament is a fine example of this. Other examples include the World Port Tournament (baseball) and the CHIO Rotterdam (equestrian sports). In addition to always guiding the events, Rotterdam Topsport has occasionally acted as initiator and organiser.
Rotterdam has also on numerous occasions acted as host city for a range of national and international championships and events. A small selection of events over the past few years includes the EURO 2000, the Davis Cup, the World Korfball Championships and the European and World Judo Championships. But Rotterdam has more exciting projects in store. Take, for instance, the Grand Départ of the Tour de France, the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships and the European Korfball Championships which are scheduled to take place in 2010, followed by the World Table Tennis Championships, the European Dressage Championships and the World Squash Championships in 2011.
In addition to organising, guiding and supporting new top-level sporting events, Rotterdam Topsport also provides logistic and financial support.
Guiding, supporting and the acquisition of top-level sporting events with a view to generating as much promotional and economic spin-off as possible for the city of Rotterdam. The organisation of the event should also promote the sport in question.
Role, tasks, responsibilities
- Guides and supports existing top-level sporting events in Rotterdam.
- Conducts acquisition to attract top-level sporting events, preferably internationally oriented events such as European and world championships;Initiates sponsoring activities and provides financial support for sporting events;
- Provides guidance and advice in terms of the logistics, promotion and marketing of large-scale sporting events;
- Acts as partner of sports organisations from the bidding procedure to the final organisation;
- Is a crucial central figure in Rotterdam for promoting sporting events, the development of Rotterdam as an attractive city and economic and promotional spin-off;
- Uses sporting events as part of the city's marketing policy;
- Encourages collaborating sports partners in Rotterdam and gets them interested in organising activities for schools and associations around events.